Friday, September 23, 2011

Defining Success

What is success? The more I talk with friends and family about what success is to them, the more I realize everyone has a different answer. To some it's making a name for themselves and having a great career. Others desire families. It's not just get a job, buy a house, have a family. The dream is different for everyone.

After graduating college I job hopped. In the process I learned a lot about myself.

Such as:

  • I have trouble with corporations, and I don't want to work for mega-conglomerates. 
  • I disagree with nepotism and believe that position should be derived from merit and skill rather than "who you know". 
  • I like autonomy. 
  • I need to feel like a valued part of a team where my skills and knowledge are desired and appreciated. 
  • My health does impact my ability to work and that being healthy 90% of the time is great for me, not so much for employers. You can't tell an employer that you'll likely be sick 25 days a year. All the more reason to carve my own path.
After a year of working part-time at a job that I loved the job with a boss I hated, I quit. My husband indulged me. He's indulging my desires to stay home and do my own thing. As soon as I figure out what my 'thing' is the better. 

Success for me comes in the small gains. Seeing how happy my husband is when I unexpectedly make his lunch. Lowering my weekly grocery bill to $65-$80. Writing for bitchbuzz.com. All of these things make me feel successful. To some it would seem boring and hardly a success, but I know life is short enough that you have to enjoy each little gain.

While I have moments where I am incredibly lonely cooped up in my apartment, I am genuinely happy and feel like I'm on the path to my own personal success. I'm writing again, and I'm incredibly proud of my recipes. I hope to increase what I get to write about beyond just food. 

Opportunities await. 

1 comment:

  1. Yay! Success does come in many shapes and sizes. It's up to us to find it/ make it/ hold on to it. It can take a while, but as long as you do what makes you happy, that's what is important.

    ReplyDelete