Thursday, September 1, 2011

Personal Epiphany: I'm a curmudgeon.

There's another facebook game going on about breast cancer. This time you take your shoe size and add inches and then the amount of time it takes you to do your hair in the morning. So you end up with something like 6 inches and 30 minutes. This is to make people think something sexy.

In the name of breast cancer awareness.

What really pisses me off is that no one is mentioning breasts or breast cancer. I fail to see how it promotes breast cancer awareness by saying something stupid to keep men guessing. Wouldn't it make more sense to post in your status:

" It's breast cancer awareness month; take a moment to get to know your breasts or talk to cancer survivors. Get a mammogram and learn more on how to be proactive about your health!"

So I posted on my facebook how I thought it was stupid. Then a few moments later the person who sent me the silly message of breast cancer awareness posted that it's all fun and games to promote awareness.

Well, my mother-in-law died from breast cancer. If you don't know this already, cancer is not funny. It's scary, depressing and watching someone die from is still the hardest thing I've ever done.

I've over playing games. I hate those little pink ribbons pretending like they're helping. We need to teach women to examine their breasts and be honest with themselves and their doctors.

Show some self love and grab a handful. Knowing your breasts could save your life.

So fine, I'm a curmudgeon.

1 comment:

  1. I hadn't seen those games yet, but I always thought things like that were dumb also. If I have to guess how the game/ribbon/whatever is helping save woman's lives, it's probably not helping.

    So yeah, I totally agree with you!

    ReplyDelete