Monday, March 26, 2012

Late 20s

Today marks my official entry into my 'Late 20s'. I don't feel old, but I don't feel young either. I'm at this strange point in my life where I've accomplished quite a bit, but there still is so much life left to live. I'm starting to feel my own mortality creeping in.

I've always been aware of the impending demise of myself and those around me. Now that I'm pregnant, my desire to keep everyone safe and healthy has increased thirty-fold. I'm worried about my parents who to me in their 50s and 60s aren't old yet. But then I think of my grandparents, I remember being a child and them being in their 60s. I know how hold they are now that I'm adult. Some are gone, others are passing. I'm reminded that as my children grow up, so too will my parents, and quite honestly I wish I could just freeze time for them. I appreciate my parents more now than ever and all I can think about is how scared I am to lose them.

Every day I'm reminded that this little baby will never meet their grandma Judy and it makes me sad.
Will we be able to convey who she was to them? Will they believe us when we tell them that surely she loves them just as much as if she had been with us? What do we tell them about the afterlife? Do we tell them about the heaven we don't believe in, or teach them laws of physics about energy never being destroyed?

I just keep hoping that no heart attacks or cancers fall upon us, but I'm not naive enough to believe that. Getting older is both a blessing and a sad passing of my youth.

As cliche as it is, you don't realize how precious time is until it's almost gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment