Monday, April 16, 2012

1,000 Origami Cranes

There's an ancient Japanese legend that someone who folds 1,000 paper cranes will have one wish granted by a crane. The act of folding 1,000 cranes is called Senbazuru. I've always loved origami and have always wanted to do this. I have decided to make 1,000 paper cranes for my little baby baking in my oven. I'm putting all my hopes and love into each one and will hang it in the baby's room. I hope it's something they'll think is cool and hold on to.

When I was in high-school I just happened to buy a box of tiny origami paper. It was multicolored and seemed like a great deal. Later on I found a crane pattern on the bottom of the box. Now over a decade later I was able to put two and two together and realized that all those years ago I had purchased my own Senbazuru set of 1005 sheets of tiny origami paper. In my defense all the writing on the box is in Japanese so I really had no idea what I was working with.

Sadly I used quite a bit of it before I realized what it was for so I'll have to supplement from my regular origami paper collection and make some full sized cranes.

So far I have 36 tiny cranes (35 in pale pink, 1 medium pink). Ever wondered what 35 paper cranes look like? Wonder no more:

35 pink paper cranes = 3.5% DONE!
If I keep up this pace I could be done in a month. That's my goal.



3 comments:

  1. This is such a cool project idea :). Have you come up with any ideas for the baby's room?

    I saw your garden box pictures on facebook and they look lovely as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the first year we're going to have the baby in the master bedroom. Then we might move them to our second bedroom. I'm trying to keep our second bedroom the guestroom so my mom can visit often during the first year.

      I have some project ideas and knitting plans, but no real baby 'room' plans. I'm kind of a jerk and figure they're going to be too young to notice and by the time they do notice it will be too baby-ish.

      So cranes and a cute sweater it is!

      Delete
  2. Such a sweet idea! Your off to a great start!

    ReplyDelete